Ford has unveiled the E-Transit Custom, the all-electric version of Europe’s best-selling van. The E-Transit Custom is designed to meet the needs of small and medium businesses that want to reduce their environmental impact and save on operating costs. The E-Transit Custom offers a range of innovative features, such as cloud connectivity, over-the-air updates, and power sockets for work tools. It also boasts a targeted range of up to 236 miles, a fast charging ability, and a class-leading towing capacity. The E-Transit Custom is expected to go on sale in late 2023, with a starting price of around $49,000.
Electric Powertrain and Performance
The Ford E-Transit Custom is powered by a next-generation electric powertrain that delivers 181 horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque. The powertrain combines a single-speed automatic transmission and a rear-wheel drive system. The E-Transit Custom has a top speed of 75 mph and can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph in 9.5 seconds. The E-Transit Custom uses a 67 kWh lithium-ion battery pack under the floor, which does not compromise the cargo space or the payload capacity. The battery pack is liquid-cooled and has a warranty of eight years or 100,000 miles.
The E-Transit Custom has a targeted range of up to 236 miles on a single charge, which is enough for most daily driving needs of small businesses. The E-Transit Custom can also support fast charging, replenishing the battery from 15% to 80% in 34 minutes using a 115 kW charger. Alternatively, the E-Transit Custom can be charged overnight using a 7.4 kW wallbox, which can fully charge the battery in 9.5 hours. The E-Transit Custom also has a regenerative braking system, which can recover up to 90% of the kinetic energy and use it to recharge the battery.
The E-Transit Custom has a payload capacity of up to 2,425 lbs and a towing capacity of up to 4,409 lbs. The E-Transit Custom can handle various types of cargo thanks to its flexible load compartment that can accommodate up to three Euro pallets or 8x4 ft sheets of material. The E-Transit Custom also has a sliding side door and a rear liftgate that can be opened up to 180 degrees for easy access. The E-Transit Custom is available in two wheelbase lengths and two roof heights, offering a cargo volume of up to 247 cubic feet.
Innovative Features and Customer Experiences
The E-Transit Custom is more than just an electric van. It is also a smart and connected vehicle that offers new customer experiences based on cloud connectivity and digital technologies. The E-Transit Custom is equipped with a Ford Pro ecosystem, which is a suite of software and services that help businesses manage and optimize their fleet of electric vehicles. The Ford Pro ecosystem includes:
- Ford Pro Intelligence: a cloud-based platform that provides real-time data and insights on vehicle performance, battery status, charging history, driver behavior, and maintenance needs. Ford Pro Intelligence also enables remote diagnostics and over-the-air updates, which can enhance vehicle reliability and reduce downtime.
- Ford Pro Charge: a comprehensive solution that helps businesses plan and manage their charging infrastructure, both at home and on the road. Ford Pro Charge includes access to more than 155,000 public charging points across Europe, as well as smart wallboxes and charging stations that can be installed at the workplace or at home. Ford Pro Charge also offers dynamic pricing and billing options, as well as energy management tools that can optimize the charging schedule and reduce the electricity costs.
- Ford Pro Power: a unique feature that allows the E-Transit Custom to act as a mobile power source for work tools and equipment. The E-Transit Custom has a 2.3 kW power socket in the cabin and a 2.3 kW or 7.2 kW power socket in the cargo area, depending on the model. The E-Transit Custom can supply up to 2.5 kWh of electricity, which is enough to power a circular saw, a drill, a laptop, and a printer for a full workday.
The Ford E-Transit Custom also offers new customer experiences based on industry-first technologies that can enhance productivity and convenience. Some of these features are:
- Digital Key: a feature that allows the E-Transit Custom to be unlocked and started using a smartphone app, without the need for a physical key. The Digital Key can also be shared with other authorized drivers, such as employees or contractors, and can be revoked at any time. The Digital Key can also monitor the driver’s identity, location, and driving behavior and provide feedback and alerts to the fleet manager.
- Mobile Office: a feature that transforms the E-Transit Custom into a comfortable and functional workspace. The E-Transit Custom has a 12-inch touchscreen infotainment system that supports wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a wireless charging pad and multiple USB ports. The E-Transit Custom also has a foldable table that can be attached to the steering wheel, providing a stable surface for a laptop or a tablet. The E-Transit Custom also has a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot that can connect up to 10 devices, as well as a FordPass Connect modem that can access various online services and apps.
- Smart Delivery: a feature that simplifies and streamlines the delivery process for the E-Transit Custom. The Smart Delivery feature uses a combination of sensors, cameras, and software to enable keyless access to the cab and the load compartment, as well as automatic locking and unlocking of the doors. The Smart Delivery feature also integrates with third-party delivery platforms, such as Amazon Key for Business, which can allow delivery drivers to securely drop off packages inside the E-Transit Custom without the need for the owner to be present.