Volvo has always been synonymous with safety, but the Swedish automaker is taking it to a new level with its first fully electric car, the Volvo EX30. This compact crossover combines a sleek design, a spacious interior, and a powerful battery with cutting-edge features that make it one of the safest vehicles on the road.
What Makes the Volvo EX30 So Safe?
The Volvo EX30 is built on a new platform that is specifically designed for electric vehicles. This platform allows for a lower center of gravity, a more rigid body structure, and a better distribution of weight. These factors improve the handling, stability, and crashworthiness of the car.
But that's not all. The Volvo EX30 also comes with a host of advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) that help prevent accidents and protect occupants. Some of these systems include:
- Pilot Assist: This system uses cameras, radar, and sensors to monitor the traffic situation and assist the driver with steering, braking, and acceleration. It can also keep the car in its lane and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS): This system warns the driver of vehicles in blind spots and can also steer the car back into its lane if necessary.
- City Safety: This system can detect pedestrians, cyclists, animals, and other objects in front of the car and apply the brakes automatically if a collision is imminent.
- Cross Traffic Alert: This system alerts the driver of approaching vehicles when reversing out of a parking spot or driveway and can also brake the car if needed.
- Run-off Road Mitigation: This system can detect if the car is about to leave the road unintentionally and apply steering and braking interventions to keep it on track.
- Run-off Road Protection: This system can tighten the seat belts and activate energy-absorbing structures in the seats to reduce the impact forces on the spine in case of a run-off road accident.
These are just some of the safety features that make the Volvo EX30 stand out from other electric cars. In fact, Volvo claims that the EX30 is "the safest car we have ever built."
What Else Does the Volvo EX30 Offer?
Safety is not the only selling point of the Volvo EX30. This electric car also offers a smooth and quiet ride, thanks to its 78 kWh battery that delivers 402 horsepower and 487 lb-ft of torque. The battery can be charged up to 80% in 40 minutes using a fast charger and has an estimated range of 208 miles.
The Volvo EX30 also boasts a spacious and luxurious interior that can accommodate five passengers and their luggage. The cabin features leather seats, a panoramic sunroof, a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, and a 9-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. The car also supports wireless charging for smartphones and has a Harman Kardon premium sound system.
The exterior of the Volvo EX30 is equally impressive, with a sleek and aerodynamic design that reflects its Scandinavian heritage. The car has LED headlights and taillights, a distinctive grille with a Volvo logo that doubles as a sensor unit, and 19-inch alloy wheels. The car is available in eight colors, including Bursting Blue Metallic, Fusion Red Metallic, Glacier Silver Metallic, Onyx Black Metallic, Pebble Grey Metallic, Pine Grey Metallic, Thunder Grey Metallic, and Crystal White Pearl.
How Much Does the Volvo EX30 Cost?
The Volvo EX30 is expected to hit the US market in late 2023 with a starting price of $54,985 (excluding destination fee). The car will compete with other electric crossovers such as the Tesla Model Y, the Ford Mustang Mach-E, and the Hyundai Ioniq 5.
However, none of these rivals can match the safety standards of the Volvo EX30, which makes it an attractive option for anyone looking for an electric car that offers peace of mind as well as performance.